Navrathri Golu Dolls: Alwar Set
Alwars, who are said to be the Hamsam of Sriman Narayanan, have dedicated their lives to the Emperumaan and they led their life by praising and doing Mangalasasanam on Sriman Naryanan. These Alwars are 12 in Number and out of which one is Sri Andal, who is a woman.
These Alwars were born in various parts of our country but they were all united in a common subject, ie dedicating their lives and praising the Lord.
1. Poigai Alwar, 2. Bhoodath Alwar, and 3. Pei Alwar is collectively called as "Mudhal Alwars" were found in the same period.
4. Thirumazhisai Alwar, who thought the Perumal as his friend and has sung Mangalasasanam on Perumal.
5. Thirumangai Alwar, who was a great king in his starting of life but later, changed his life to working for the Perumal and his bhaktas.
6. Thondaradippodi Alwar, who is also named "Vipra Narayana" led his life as the slave to the Perumal and worked for the Perumal by dedicating him with Garlands.
7. Thiruppaan Alwar, who belonged to the Paanar family, praised the Perumal through his beautiful songs and Paasurams.
8. Periyalwar is considered as the Mother, Father for Sri Andal and Father-in-Law to Perumal has sung Mangalasasanam on Perumal.
9. Sri Andal, who is also called as "Soodikkodutha Sudar Kodi" is said to be the daughter (brought up) of Periyalwar has created "Thiruppavai" in which she considers Sriman Naryanan as her husband. She is the only lady Alwar.
10. Nammalwar, who sat below the Tamarind tree without having any food and sleep got Gnana and has sung Mangalasasanam on Perumal and he has worked hard to spread Sri Vaishnavam.
11. Madhurakavi Alwar, who is said to be the Sishyan (Student) of Nammalwar is also one among 12 Alwars.
12. Kulasekara Alwar, have great bhakti towards Sri Ramar and has also done Mangalasasanam on the Perumal particularly in Malayala Naatu thriuppathigal.